Sunday, April 6, 2008

Remind me

Once again I found myself lying in bed snuggled between two sleeping boys, exhausted from a day of motherhood, yet unable to sleep! My mind will not turn off, usually I am thinking about the next day's tasks: laundry to do, floors to clean, activities to keep Clayton and his friend beck busy and learning... etc. Tonight I am overcome with the joy of my divine role as mother to two of heavenly father's most precious souls. Spirits he sent to me, to mold and shape. There are days that the task seams so overwhelming, or the challenge to great. When the whining and sleepless nights, and crumbs, time-outs and those imperfect days of life growl at me. Those days are few, and flee my mind so quickly. Then there are days like today: Near perfect for no apparent reason, that I revel in the most amazing joy and love that I have, My children. I love being a mom, not just any mom. Clayton I love being your Mom. Snuggling you to bed with your sea horse, your tiny hand in my armpits and tonight some type of extension tool from your Daddy's tool box. (the other night your "protection" skate-board gear) I love when you tell me, "I looove you"
"I love you too Clay"
"does that make you happy momma?" It always makes my happy, and I smile at you.
Dylan I love being your Mom. Your easy to please temperament, how pure and little you still are. Watching you learn everyday from your big brother, and how sometimes you are whiny just so I will stay near.
I forget how short a journey this is, My role of motherhood. Yes I will be a Mother for the rest of eternity. But my role will change. Soon Clayton wont always need a playmate, or a helping hand to the bathroom. Sooner than I would like Dylan will be walking and not a constant accessory on my hip. So please remind me to have more nights like this, to relish the joy- the joy I feel now- My love of my call as mother.

2 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

If only we could think like that when they are driving us nuts! You are a great mom and friend- Thanks- Mary

ABCD Clapp said...

I totally agree. That is why i left myself a reminder... thank goodness because the next morning was one of those days... when you think you wont make it through!! LOL